Sunday 27 March 2011

Never Too Late for Resolutions

Even if it is the end of March!
I made a list on Friday of where I want to be and how to get there by improving specific artistic skills.  Even though I know I have a long way to go until I could be considered for employment I sometimes lose that drive that makes me try new things and better myself.  I go along my merry way doodling and sketching without a thought in my head....
Then last night I did this:

Week 1 - Lighting

I had had the colours and tones in my mind for the past couple of days, so I told myself, 'just do it!'.  So I opened a small sized file and set myself about an hour (or else I'd get carried away).  It's nowhere near perfect - I hate the hair and want to add bits of varied colour - but I surprised myself.  Not only with how much I'd managed to do in a short amount of time, but that I actually applied lighting and perspective.  It has become common for me to draw things straight on, looking very flat and without any dynamic.  It's my simple cartoon brain at work!

I looked at the image when I'd done, and it all clicked - my action plan and what I accomplished in an hour.  I can focus on each personal objective for short bursts at a time.
My plan is to make one image once a week, which is unrelated to designated work, that concentrates on one to all of the following; perspective, anatomy (human, animal), lighting, colour, realism, stylization, character/personality.

You're probably thinking this is what I should have been doing all this time anyway, and to a degree I do, but it varies from automatically considering each aspect to really considering.  This resolution is about really considering, and will not only help my skills but also my time keeping.

Onwards to employability!

J. x

3 comments:

  1. Jess, this is awesome! I don't know why you're being so hard on yourself but if it works I'm not going to stop you lol. I'm glad to hear you've got a plan of action in mind and can't wait to see the pieces you put up.

    I would like to say though that my favorite part of this piece is the hair. As much as I like the whole thing though I would have to say her right hand seems a bit misshapen in my opinion. I know that wasn't your focus for this challenge but thought I would mention it on the off chance you didn't notice :)

    I hope that was some help and I really am looking forward to seeing what you produce from these mini briefs. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's amazing! It looks so dark and mysterious and eeiree, i like it!

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your input guys!

    Colin - yeah, being hard on myself means I strive to improve rather than putting myself down into thinking I'll never be any good.
    Oh no, the hand, I noticed. I love drawing hands and feet, but I left drawing her hand to the last minute.
    The hair isn't right... As it's underwater, hair has this odd clarity yet softness to it. It's something I'll work on in the future - hands and underwater hair. It's very frustrating knowing how something SHOULD be but not managing to recreate it.

    J. x

    ReplyDelete